Hi, I’m The Cake Lady. Baker and maker of all things sweet and fancy. A collector of notebooks, lover of lazy days and obsessed with road trips and getaways.
I started Sugar and Sponge back in 2015 and only started blogging last year. I never showed an interest in baking until my sister-in-law gifted me with a baking book. I think it was The Hummingbird Bakery book. It changed my life. Using humble everyday ingredients like eggs, flour, butter and sugar; you can transform them into something so delicious. That was a selling point for me. So I continued on this journey … and here I am, starting this blog and sharing with you this wonderful life of cake. I am new to the life of blogging, so I welcome any advice, hints and tips on how to make my content as great as it can be.
So what are you going to find on my blog? It’s not just a blog about cakes. This blog is a peak into my life, and my life is not always about cake. Here you will find posts on everything from baking projects and recipe testing to tutorials, experiments, my life and my family and everything inbetween. This blog is essentially about me … the life of The Cake Lady.
Do follow me on Instagram for more cakey yumminess. Other social media outlets coming soon.
To start … here are some random facts about me …
1. I live in East London, Hackney. A wonderful little borough in London full of an eclectic mix of people and cultures, a hub for foodies and a circus for those who dare to be different.
2. I hate taking pictures of myself. Like seriously despise it … but here is a rare one just for you.
3. I am very freckly, for an Asian person anyways … my mother once told me to go to the doctors to see if they could give me some cream to remove my freckles. But I do love my freckles, they are very unique … for me.
4. I was born in Vietnam and came to the UK as a refugee child in 1979. My parents fled the Vietnam war and settled in the UK.
5. I am not ashamed to admit that I suffer from anxiety and mental health-related issues. I take one day at a time and try to smile as much as I can.
6. I have two children. My daughter Skye is 11 years old and my son Devon is 8 years old. They are such well mannered and well-behaved children and I am so proud of them. They make my life very easy.
7. I have been with my husband Vinh for nigh on 20 years (married for 10 of those). He’s pretty awesome except when he is leaving his dirty socks all over the house.
8. My guilty pleasure is Greys Anatomy. I cry at almost every episode even though I have seen that episode for the millionth time. I swear it’s the best show on tv.
9. During the day I work in a busy office which aids people who have disabilities and illnesses. It’s a tough job mentally but I work with a great team who support each other and helps each other out of difficult situations.
10. I absolutely love the snow. Living in London we don’t see a lot of it but when we are graced with its presence, you will find me outside dancing until my feet get wet and my hair has glistened with snowflake dandruff.
11. I’m an introvert and it takes me a while to forge new alliances. But when you do get to know me I will talk and talk to you until your ears fall off.
12. Also … when I get nervous or excited I talk really fast!
13. I love cheese. Seriously … any cheese (well, apart from blue cheese). But gosh … thinking about a baked Camembert with a drizzle of honey has just made me salivate.
14. I’m scared of animals, in particular dogs. I think it stemmed from a time when as a kid I got chased along the balcony by my friend’s dog. I nearly jumped over the balcony. Eeeeek … that wouldn’t have ended well.
15. I am also a planner girl. I fell in love with bujo (bullet journal) planning a couple of years ago and now I list and plan just about everything. I love a good pen and notebook, it beats a computer any day.
16. Johnny Depp is my childhood heartthrob. I’ve been in love with him since my teens and I still rate him as one of the sexiest men alive … George Clooney is a bit of an alright too.
17. I have some OCD tendencies … before I go to sleep at night I have to touch the knobs on my cooker to make sure they are switched off. Looking and checking is not enough. I have to touch them … yes … I am strange like that.
And P.S. the world IS NOT FLAT. I just thought I would put that out there.
New blog posts are published every Monday morning and cake book challenges are posted every Thursday morning. If you have a moment, please do leave me a message. If there is anything you want to ask, rant or complain about … go for it, I’m all ears!
I hope you follow me on my journey of love, life and cake. It’s going to be a sweet one!
“You can’t be sad when you’re holding a cupcake” – Unknown
~ The Cake Lady xx